TERRAM PW2 – Geocomposite Trackbed separator
TERRAM PW2 is a geocomposite product- a robust separator/filter incorporating a stiff geonet between two textile filter layers.
TERRAM geosynthetics provide solutions for permanent way applications where loss of rail track alignment caused by sub-grade erosion leads to costly maintenance and the complication caused by having to plan and temporarily close the track for its renewal.
TERRAM PW2 is manufactured using a HDPE geonet sandwiched between two layers of TERRAM PW1 geotextile to provide the necessary robustness when used with large angular soil particles.
A geosynthetic provides one or more of four functions when used in track-bed construction:
- Separation to maintain the integrity of adjacent soil types i.e. prevent intermixing.
- Filtration to prevent leaching of soil particles
- Drainage to allow the free passage of water
- Reinforcement to provide additional strength
The use of geosynthetics to reduce or replace traditional layers is now an accepted part of track-bed construction and renewals around the world. When correctly specified and installed, geotextiles and geogrids are proven to:
- Enhance track performance
- Significantly extend design life
- Reduce the time required to renew a specific length of track (or allow more to be renewed in a fixed time)
- Reduce overall material costs