TERRAM PW9 is a Robust Separator for trackbed, designed where the sub-grade soils are good but contain angular stone. This angular stone could damage a standard geotextile, so a robust geotextile that protects the separation function of the geotextile is essential.
TERRAM PW9 is a mechanically entangled robust separator/filter that provides protection from angular stone damage.
TERRAM Geosynthetics provide solutions for permanent way applications where loss of rail track alignment caused by sub-grade erosion leads to costly maintenance and the complication caused by having to plan and temporarily close the track for its renewal.
A geosynthetic provides one or more of four functions when used in track-bed construction:
- Separation to maintain the integrity of adjacent soil types i.e. prevent intermixing
- Filtration to prevent leaching of soil particles
- Drainage to allow the free passage of water
- Reinforcement to provide additional strength
The use of geosynthetics to reduce or replace traditional layers is now an accepted part of track-bed construction and renewals around the world. When correctly specified and installed, geotextiles and geogrids are proven to:
- Enhance track performance
- Significantly extend design life
- Reduce the time required to renew a specific length of track (or allow more to be renewed in a fixed time).
- Reduce overall material costs
- Engineered to provide additional strength to resist damage from large angular stone particles.
- Manufactured from high tenacity UV stabilised virgin polypropylene fibres to provide long term durability in all soil types.
- Manufactured using a randomly orientated web to provide completely isotropic properties.
- Excellent uniformity with high permeability and low pore size for soil filtration.